1tbsp olive oil
500g turkey mince (preferably free range or organic)
1 onion, peeled and chopped
1 plump garlic clove, peeled and crushed
2 carrots, peeled and cut into 1cm dice
1 courgette, trimmed and cut into 1cm dice
1 red pepper de-seeded and cut into 1cm dice
2x 400g cans of chopped tomatoes
1tsp mixed freeze-dried herbs
Half an organic vegetable stock cube
2tsp cornflour mixed with 1 tbsp cold water
Wholewheat spaghetti and fresh basil to serve.
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan or flameproof casserole dish over a gentle heat. Add the turkey and cook for 3 minutes, stirring to break up the meat. Stir in the onion and garlic and cook for about 2 minutes.
- Add the carrots, courgette and pepper and cook with the mince for 5 minutes, stirring regularly, until all the vegetables are beginning to soften.
- Tip the tomatoes into the pan, sprinkle with herbs and add the stock cube. Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally until the vegetables are just cooked and the turkey is tender.
- Stir in the cornflour mixture and cook for a few seconds until the sauce is thickened. Serve with freshly cooked wholewheat spaghetti, garnished with basil leaves and a crunchy salad.
- This bolognese can be served in a variety of ways: spooned into baked potatoes or tossed with gluten-free pasta; enjoyed just as it is with seasonal vegetables; or used as stuffing for baked squash or marrow.