Tuesday 19 July 2011

Seashell Shortbread

The children we care for just love baking and shortbread is a lovely pliable dough that can easily be moulded into different shapes.

To follow on from our Seaside theme, we are making seashell shortbread this week using a cutter I bought recently.  Here is the recipe I have used for years and is very popular with my friends and family. 

100g (4oz) butter, softened
50g (2oz) caster sugar
150g (5oz) plain flour
25g (1oz) semolina
extra caster sugar for dusting

1. Cream butter and caster sugar together until light and fluffy.
2. Using a fork, gradually stir in flour and semolina.
3. Draw mixture together with fingertips.
4. Roll out dough to 1-2cm thickness and cut out using a shaped cutter of your choice.
5. Place on a greased baking sheet or parchment and cook for about 15-20 minutes or until the colour of pale straw.

We made the dough using a fork 

The mixture smelt delicious!

Our Seashell Shortbread

I bake shortbread a lot at Christmas time.  Cut into rounds with a hole in the centre, tie ribbon around them and hang them on the Christmas tree.  They never last longer than an hour in our house though!

2 comments:

cathy@nurturestore.co.uk on 10 July 2011 at 15:20 said...

Hi Aimie - did you know you've won the Orchard Toys comp over at NurtureStore? I did e-mail you but not heard from you. If you could let me have your postal details I'll get Orchard Toys to send the prize to you. Thanks!

Aimie on 10 July 2011 at 22:03 said...

Oh wow that's great! I haven't recieved an email. I'll email you my details. THANK YOU!

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

 

Oakley Childcare Copyright © 2011 Designed by Ipietoon Blogger Template and web hosting