We used my usual easy peasy cupcake receipe...
- 225g (8oz) Unsalted butter, softened
- 225g (8oz) caster sugar
- 225g (8oz) self-raising flour
- 1tsp baking powder
- 4 eggs
- 2tbsp cocoa powder
- 100g (3.5oz) chocolate chips
- Icing sugar and cocoa powder for topping
1. Preheat oven to 180°C (350°F/Gas mark 4) Line a bun tray with 18-24 paper baking cases.
2. Place the butter, caster sugar, flour, baking powder, eggs and cocoa powder in a large mixing bowl and beat with an electric whisk for 2-3 minutes, or until well combined. Stir in the chocolate chips, spoon the mixture into the paper cases and bake for 18 minutes, or until well risen. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
When the cakes were cooled, I covered the tops of them with chololate icing. We then decorated them with every cake decoration we could find in my baking cupboard! Hundreds and thousands, chococolate strands, multicoloured strands, silver balls... you name it. It all went on top of the cakes!
They went out with a bang!