Tuesday 21 February 2012

Pancake Day

It is Shrove Tuesday today so I set out a pancake activity for the children I had in my care.

I chopped up lots of different fruits and toppings; apple, pear, banana, raisins, lemon and sugar and set them on the table in little bowls.  Once the pancakes had cooled down, I brought them in and the children chose their toppings before eating them!  This activity supported the children's self confidence and self esteem, giving them the opportunity to make decisions and develop independence.



I made these wall displays to brighten up my setting a little.  The one on the left is a poem that we sang:

Mix a pancake,
Stir a pancake,
Pop it in the pan;
Fry the pancake,
Toss the pancake,
Catch it if you can.

The actions to the rhyme can be found here. The children love it when we sing. 

Our books today were:

Poppy's Pancake Day by Sue Graves

The Big Pancake by Ladybird Books

I think this was actually mine was I was little!  It says 30p on the back so it must be pretty old!
Apple Grove Pals play set: The Great Pancake Caper by Vaughn Johnson

This is a great little set from Little Tikes.  I picked it up in Home Bargains for £2.99.  The children love this playset and become engrossed in putting the different hats on and finding the right one for each animal.

Well i'm off to continue filling out my SEF.  Next week we start our World Book Day theme with the topic of Elmer.  I have lots of exciting activities planned, so watch this space!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

 

Oakley Childcare Copyright © 2011 Designed by Ipietoon Blogger Template and web hosting